[Dev] Programming Carbon's nRF51 using its own STM32, was: Re: Bluetooth beacon example for BLE carbon

Daniel Thompson daniel.thompson at linaro.org
Mon Apr 24 09:44:34 UTC 2017

On 19/04/17 17:20, Ricardo Salveti de Araujo wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 6:05 AM, Paul Sokolovsky
> <paul.sokolovsky at linaro.org> wrote:
>> Hello Ricardo,
>>
>> On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 16:41:05 -0300
>> Ricardo Salveti de Araujo <ricardo.salveti at linaro.org> wrote:
>>
>> []
>>
>>> You could flash a special firmware into the main STM32 MCU and use
>>> that to flash nRF51 (https://github.com/blacksphere/blackmagic), but
>>> that would require work as I'm not sure anyone did that on this board
>>> yet.
>>
>> Nice that you mentioned that, I had such question in mind for a while.
>> But how would that work - are nRF51's programming pins connected to
>> STM32's GPIOs?
>
> Yes, basically :-)

I've used the BMP firmware a fair bit in the past so I took a quick look
to see if it would come to life on the carbon. Results are here:

https://github.com/daniel-thompson/blackmagic/blob/carbon/src/platforms/96b_carbon/Readme.md

I've made a pull request but I think it will be a little while before it
gets picked up so probably best to use my carbon branch for now...

https://github.com/daniel-thompson/blackmagic.git carbon

> Just need to figure out the best way to do it, but it would be quite a
> nice blog post for sure :-)

I'm might wait to see if there's any movement getting it upstream
first... and also, since it "just works" the blog post will be pretty
short ;-)

Daniel.