[Dev] Programming Carbon's nRF51 using its own STM32, was: Re: Bluetooth beacon example for BLE carbon

Daniel Thompson daniel.thompson at linaro.org
Mon Apr 24 14:58:04 UTC 2017


On 24/04/17 14:56, Ricardo Salveti de Araujo wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 6:44 AM, Daniel Thompson
> <daniel.thompson at linaro.org> wrote:
>> On 19/04/17 17:20, Ricardo Salveti de Araujo wrote:
>>>
>>> On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 6:05 AM, Paul Sokolovsky
>>> <paul.sokolovsky at linaro.org> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Hello Ricardo,
>>>>
>>>> On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 16:41:05 -0300
>>>> Ricardo Salveti de Araujo <ricardo.salveti at linaro.org> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> []
>>>>
>>>>> You could flash a special firmware into the main STM32 MCU and use
>>>>> that to flash nRF51 (https://github.com/blacksphere/blackmagic), but
>>>>> that would require work as I'm not sure anyone did that on this board
>>>>> yet.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Nice that you mentioned that, I had such question in mind for a while.
>>>> But how would that work - are nRF51's programming pins connected to
>>>> STM32's GPIOs?
>>>
>>> Yes, basically :-)
>>
>> I've used the BMP firmware a fair bit in the past so I took a quick look to
>> see if it would come to life on the carbon. Results are here:
>>
>> https://github.com/daniel-thompson/blackmagic/blob/carbon/src/platforms/96b_carbon/Readme.md
>>
>> I've made a pull request but I think it will be a little while before it
>> gets picked up so probably best to use my carbon branch for now...
>>
>> https://github.com/daniel-thompson/blackmagic.git carbon
>>
>>> Just need to figure out the best way to do it, but it would be quite a
>>> nice blog post for sure :-)
>>
>> I'm might wait to see if there's any movement getting it upstream first...
>> and also, since it "just works" the blog post will be pretty short ;-)
>
> That's awesome, need to give this a try soon :-)

I will be *really* interested to hear how you get on.

Mostly I tested by getting the carbon/stm32 to program a different board 
(also carbon/stm32).

I also tested the self-programming carbon/stm32 to its own nrf51 but 
only as far as read the chip ID. I haven't tried uploading any code yet. 
It was a spare time hack and I have more personal interest in debug than 
in BLE ;-).

Success reports for programming the full BLE firmware would be very helpful.


Daniel.


More information about the Dev mailing list